Hope Township History
Hope Township was incorporated in 1850 after previously being a portion of Barry Township. A complete history of Hope Township is available at the Hope Township Hall.
The present hall was built in 1986. The previous hall was the former Shultz School which was purchased from the Hastings School District. Previously Hope Township was served by a small hall in Cloverdale.
Two school districts serve Hope Township – Hastings and Delton Kellogg. Hope Township has more than thirty lakes within its boundaries, three of which (Wall, Long, and Guernsey) are connected to the Southwest Barry County Sewer, which Hope, along with Prairieville and Barry Townships established in the 1990s. Hope, Barry and Prairieville Townships constructed the Delton District Library, located in Delton, in 1997, with an expansion currently in progress.
The Township is served by the Delton Fire Department in conjunction with Barry Township. The fire barn is located in Delton. Ambulance service is provided for Hope Township by Mercy Ambulance from its Hastings center. Police protection is supplied by the Michigan State Police and the Barry County Sheriff. Emergency services are provided by Barry County Central Dispatch E-911.
Hope Township owns and maintains its Cloverdale Park on Cloverdale Lake containing a picnic pavilion, boat launch, and children’s play area. Two cemeteries are owned and maintained in the Township – Cedar Creek Cemetery located on Cedar Creek Road and Brush Ridge Cemetery located on Wilkins/Anders Roads corner.
Hope Township is an outstanding place to live, play, and raise a family. We are a rural community spoiled by our environment’s natural beauty.